Effect of Foliar Spray of NPK, Borax, ZnSO\(_4\) & MgSO\(_4\) on Storage of Strawberry (Fragaria annanassa Duch.) cv. Winter Dawn

Divyansh Mishra *

Department of Fruit Science, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Acharya Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Kumarganj, Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh) 224229, India.

Sanjay Pathak

Department of Fruit Science, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Acharya Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Kumarganj, Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh) 224229, India.

Sujeet Kumar Patel

Department of Fruit Science, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Acharya Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Kumarganj, Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh) 224229, India.

Vipin Kumar

Department of Fruit Science, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Acharya Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Kumarganj, Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh) 224229, India.

Abhishek Pratap Singh

Department of Fruit Science, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Acharya Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Kumarganj, Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh) 224229, India.

Avdhesh Kumar

Department of Fruit Science, College of Horticulture and Forestry, Acharya Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Kumarganj, Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh) 224229, India.

*Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.


Abstract

This study identified the synergistic effect of NPK, Borax, ZnSO4 and MgSO4 with different concentrations on the postharvest quality and shelf life of strawberry stored at ambient conditions. This study was conducted in completely randomized Block design. Strawberry fruits were treated with different concentration of NPK, Borax, ZnSO4 and MgSO4 and stored at ambient temperature for 4 days. Changes in fruit’s physiological loss of weight, firmness, total soluble solid, titrable acidity, and ascorbic acid were periodically recorded. The results indicated that the treatment T8 (NPK @0.5% + Borax @0.25% + Znso4 @0.25%+ Mgso@0.25%) significantly reduced the decrease of physiological loss of weight, total soluble solids, titrable acidity, ascorbic acid, reducing sugar, non- reducing sugar and total sugar content. The results showed that treatment T8 (NPK @0.5% + Borax @0.25% + Znso4 @0.25%+ Mgso4 @0.25%) is the most effective treatment for improving the postharvest quality and prolong the shelf life of strawberry when stored at ambient condition.

Keywords: Strawberry, NPK, Znso4, Mgso4, ambient condition


How to Cite

Mishra, D., Pathak, S., Patel, S. K., Kumar, V., Singh, A. P., & Kumar, A. (2024). Effect of Foliar Spray of NPK, Borax, ZnSO\(_4\) & MgSO\(_4\) on Storage of Strawberry (Fragaria annanassa Duch.) cv. Winter Dawn. Journal of Advances in Biology & Biotechnology, 27(6), 403–414. https://doi.org/10.9734/jabb/2024/v27i6899

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

Hancock JF. Strawberries crop production science in horticulture. CABI, Publishing, Oxon, Uk. 1999;109-112.

Yadav P, Mishra KK, Yadav AK, Pandey G, Kumar V. Effect of organic manure, NPK and mulching on better growth, yield and quality of strawberry (Fragaria ananassa Duch.) cv. Camarosa. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2020;9(2):1489-1495.

Boriss H, Brunke H, Kreith M. Commodity profile: Table grapes. Agricultural Issues Center; 2006.

Singh R, Asrey R, Kumar S. Effect of plastic tunnel and mulching on growth and yield of strawberry. Indian Journal of Horticulture. 2006;63(1):18-20.

Kachwaya DS, Chandel JS. Effect of fertigation on growth, yield, fruit quality and leaf nutrients content of strawberry (Fragaria× ananassa) CV Chandler. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2015; 85(10):1319-1323.

Goswami AK, Shukla HS, Prabhat Kumar PK, Mishra DS. Effect of pre-harvest application of micro-nutrients on quality of guava (Psidium guajava L.) cv. Sardar; 2012.

Kharwade SB. Effect of foliar application of different chemicals on yield and quality of guava (Psidium Guajava L.) var. Sardar (Doctoral dissertation, Vasantrao Naik Marathwada Krishi Vidyapeeth, Parbhani); 2018.

Shrawan Kumar SK, Singh AK, Archana Singh AS. Effect of foliar application of various growth regulators nutrients on shelf life and chemical attributes of guava cv. Lucknow-49; 2011.

AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC; 1990.

Rangana S. Ascorbic acid. Manual Analysis of Fruit and Vegetable Products. 1977;94-101.

Rangana S. Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruits and vegetable products. 1st Edn. New Delhi. McGraw – Hill; 1986.

Tripathi A, Uniyal S, Pandey V. Role of preharvest spray of nutrients on the shelf life improvement of apple (Malus domestica Borkh.) in Uttarakhand. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2019;8(1):1069-1072.